The real Aminu Othman Zubairu Story. Skip to main content

The real Aminu Othman Zubairu Story.

It has been no news that the Algebra Don has passed on. It came as a rude shock. I couldn't believe it, not until I saw a post from his mentee Daniel Oluwadamilare Akintoye, a former colleague who also graduated from the same Department.

Aminu Othman Zubairu was a lecturer of the Department of Mathematics, The University of Ibadan. He was different and so Intelligent. He was one lecturer who was very principled and very Impactful. Algebra wasn't my favorite though, but I always look forward to his classes. He was a very outstanding lecturer. I will never forget the 'iff (if and only if) and so many other algebra terms because of him.

So many stories have sprung up concerning the circumstance surrounding his death. I never knew there were other issues, family and his Ph.D. delay for 22years. This is so depressing!

This same genius of a man has been pursuing a Ph.D. degree for 22 years in the University of Ibadan, while his students would probably have gotten their Ph.D. degree he still remained on the same spot. How disheartening. What went wrong? Why so much delay? Who was his supervisor? These are some of the questions we want the University of Ibadan to proffer answers to.

It's so sad to know that the Department has lost a genius.

Tribute poured out to AOZ in the past few days.

These are what others are saying about the Algebra Don.

Saheed Oladele wrote:

They said he was an abstract maths genius. His students hail him for his extraordinary brilliance yet he did his Ph.D. for 22 years due to the Nigerian academic system madness. We thank God he was known for good principles and was never distracted despite his life challenges.

Goodbye, Mr. A O Zubair; may Almighty Allah admit you to Paradise.



ICYMI
Infinity Tutors Apete Ibadan wrote:

Mr Aminu Othman Zubairu was not only brilliant as people have been saying but was a Genius whose kind, the university can never have again. I can remember vividly how he tore 'Algebraic Topology ' while I was in my penultimate year. This man spoke "mathematics" like a language, he concretized Abstract Algebra and made us realized that mathematics is not for " the silencers". Then I asked myself this question; " why is this man called Mr, Can a Prof do more than this? " He was a  fair, an unbiased and an incorruptible man, there was a day he gave us an "open" test, students were allowed to use any available instructional material. I used chains outline for Algebraic Topology not knowing that a friend who had the book had written same proof from the text. We submitted and got 7 and 8 respectively out of 10 but we were both called for he had sensed that we copied each other, when the  friend told me we were being called for the particular proof, I realized there was no way he would believe what actually happened, I got to him and I said "wallah, we had not copied each other but used the same textbook" believing that he would take the word "wallahi" which means "by Allah" since he was a dedicated Muslim and knew how grave the sin committed is to swear on falsehood. He responded; "no no no no, don't bring religion into this ". He later agreed when we brought the textbook to him.
If Ph.D. was to be issued on a platter of testification by-products of a lecturer, we all and even some lecturers at Mathematics department would have lined up to make the    " authority " see where he belonged.
FAMILY PROBLEM, Ph.D. ISSUE, SUICIDE or not, all I know is that he's gone. I pray may Almighty Allah forgive him and grant him Al-janat Firdaus.


Daniel Oluwadamilare Akintoye wrote:

MY LAST VISIT AND MEETING WITH #AOZ
According to his resignation later found online (ofcos I recognize his handwriting and signature), AOZ formally resigned on May 9th, 2017. Two months later, precisely 29th July 2017, my wife and I visited him (and some other lecturers) in UI.


As the humble AOZ, he insisted on picking us at the school gate, jokingly apologizing for still using such a car (we all know the old white Benz my Oga was using) as he took us straight to his apartment in the staff quarters.

I asked him personal questions, in particular about his Ph.D. I even asked why he couldn’t leave to do it elsewhere and possibly outside the country where he would be valued and celebrated. I guess due to his age, he may not get fully funded Ph.D. except well recommended but who will recommend him?

On why the delay, he wouldn’t say. AOZ wouldn’t point an accusing finger at anyone but assured that all is well now.  Mr. Zubairu has assured me of hearing good news “very soon” on his Ph.D., promised that everything was in place. That would be the first promised he made to me and never fulfill.

I could remember telling him I don’t mind flying down to Nigeria 🇳🇬 for his graduation, though I don’t know how easy that would be the financial part wouldn’t have been an issue. It was something I could do if the timing was right bcos this is about Mr. Zubairu.

I also tried to remind him why he needs to get his Ph.D. I told him without his Ph.D., he wouldn’t be able to help those at MSc and Ph.D. level officially and many really need his help. Many would gladly do their MSc and Ph.D. thesis with him but he needs to be at that level officially first!

Since he was tired of UI, I asked why he couldn’t leave. Any institution in Nigeria or abroad would be blessed to have him. He told me of his recognition and how the Vice Chancellor had tried to talk him out of it. I wondered why things were left to get to that point if he was that important. He said he had given conditions and if they could meet them, he would stay back. Else, he was working on another institution and all will be sorted soon - UI or the other alternative.

I was so happy to share the news with some close friends and old classmates when these pictures were seen online. We were all waiting for the day he would be conferred with the Ph.D. in Mathematics we all knew he was overdue for.


I had also told some close friends that I wish I had money to be able to just ask “Oga, how much do you need to send to your family monthly?” We could make that available and fly him abroad to start his Ph.D. elsewhere. We really wished we could but he reassured us with “very soon” with his usual smile as seen in the pictures.

During the visit, we spoke about my then-upcoming marriage ceremony. He was particularly impressed I wasn’t about religion but love when I told him my then fiancé is a Muslim. I wish I had recorded some of our conversations as we laughed in his apartment. Maybe I would have something to remind me of his voice and how he talked today.

He promised to be there at my wedding in July 2018 as I promised to send him details once I get back to Macau and dates were finalized. I even told him even if he had resumed the alternative job, I would book his 2-way ticket to Lagos, arrange hotel accommodation for the days he will spend, take care of the transportation and other logistics as all he needed was to take some time off from his work and come to South West. He felt honored and was looking forward to the details.

Unfortunately, calls, text, FB inbox, emails to him were not returned since Oct 2017. I even made numerous calls to all his lines when we arrived home in July 2018. I wanted to honor him as a special guest at my wedding. But promising to be at my wedding would be the second and last promised he made to me and never fulfill.

If indeed the dead could see us, Mr. Aminu Othman Zubairu please know that you remain that meticulous, passionate, selfless, well organized, compassionate, strict, loving genius we had as a teacher, mentor and role model.

Some of us promise to carry on with what you believe in and how passionate you are when it comes to Mathematics.

Rest on sir 🕯😥

#TheRealAOZ  #AOZStory #22YearsButNoPhD #AlgebraDon

Samuel Edet wrote:

ICYMI Samuel Edet wrote:

I knew Aminu Othman Zubairu, he was my algebraic topology lecturer. There is no question as to the depth of his understanding of his field. He was an astounding teacher, a good examiner, a good-hearted easy going man, and one you can reliably have a conversation with. I remember at some point during my undergraduate thesis, he was very supportive, always meeting during early hours of the day in his office to talk about possible areas of my thesis I could explore, despite not being my supervisor. I hope his children grow up with the understanding that their father was a genius. A genius with an unwavering principle, that could not be dwarfed by a shameful system, an inept institution and a culture of mediocrity. A genius who did not believe in the subjugating mantra of untoward "Patient, Humility and 'Double' in exchange for Ph.D." Let the University of Ibadan know that an institution that glorifies itself in mediocrity is a danger not just to itself but also to the society. Spending 22 years or any other insane number of years working towards a doctorate degree is not a marker of a sane intellectual community.

#MyAOZStory

Owoade Nihinlola wrote:

It's so shocking,  a rude shock indeed..  Mr. Subair,  why? Anyway, it's well. A good algebra mathematics lecturer in UI,  he was my very good friend,  I don't really understand w.t happened,  he had been on P.hD right from my undergraduate days and he never barged it till he died, what a terrible life! Suicide was not an option. But you decided to quit,  why? even after UI, we still used to talk until lately that I lost his contact. May your gentle soul rest in peace 🙏

May his soul rest in peace.
The AOZ story...

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to cope in a Challenging situation

Hello everyone. I am aware it's been a minute here. I've been saddled with a lot of obligations, and juggling them all has proven challenging. Prioritising has been really difficult, but it's also crucial to strike a balance between work and personal life. I'm aware that having many obligations can sometimes make us feel completely overwhelmed, which is why I'll be sharing a few strategies that have helped me succeed in demanding circumstances.                               Identifying the Challenge Identifying the thing you refer to as the "challenge" is the initial coping strategy. Do you need to alter anything in your routine? Do you require a piece of equipment to make housework less stressful? Perhaps you need to prepare your meals for the upcoming week. Is it possible that you are becoming proficient in your current position and require a change of scenery?... Your ability to deal with or handle an issue improves as soon as you are able to define it.

My birthday Thanksgiving/ Thanksgiving Jar

 Hello friends, It's been a moment. Today is the 21st of May 2021, how amazing! Yesterday was so special to me, not only because several years ago on the 20th of May my joyful parents received a perfect gift from God but because looking back all I can see is the mighty hands of God. I got very heartwarming messages and I am eternally grateful for it. With our busy schedule taking out time to drop a message for me means I matter, and I truly appreciate you all. The previous year had its challenges but there is nothing as joyful as winning a war. I pray God shows up for you all amid the storm. I can't do without talking about the goodness of the mighty God. He is the reason I celebrated and was celebrated. All the glory belongs to him. To my immediate family My husband, Children, Mother, brothers, and sisters, you are the best thing after Jesus and I love you always. To my friends you all are special. I am grateful to have celebrated yesterday with you all. Every day of our lives

'Merry Christmas' or 'Lockdown Christmas'

While we are happy to be gradually free from the clutches of the Pandemic. Seems like some will be having a Lockdown Christmas.  If using a nose mask and obeying the directives of curbing the Pandemic is important, I do not understand why some still act like it doesn't matter. It's just a day to Christmas and while we will be going out, that's if your state permits to celebrate, let's don't forget we have to be responsible for our actions.  I feel like I experienced the Christmas celebration at its peak in childhood. The atmosphere doesn't feel the same. The earth is so polluted with evil and to this day I no longer want to hear the news because of the strange things that are been reported. Try and feed your thoughts with only positive things, things that are soul, body, and spirit-lifting. Don't stop being you and be around the people you care about and who care about you too. I pray that this season of Christmas brings you joy, laughter, and all the happin